Pembroke High School Weekly Update
Dear PHS Students and Families,
Here is this week's update. As always, please don't hesitate to see me with any questions on these or any other matters.
Our annual Open House is on Thursday, September 23 from 6:30-8:20 p.m. As was the case this year, the evening will be virtual. Here are all of the details.
- Next week, I will send out a Google Sheet that lists all of our teachers alphabetically and the link to join each teacher's Google Meet. Parents and caregivers will use this form to join their child's teachers' presentations during the course of the evening.
- To ensure the safety of all in attendance, all parents should attend the Open House on their child's PPS Chromebook or by signing into another device with their child's PPS Google account. This will ensure that we know the identity of all attendees and greatly reduce the risk of the evening being interrupted by those with ill-will.
- The evening will begin at 6:30 p.m. with a brief, 5-minute "Principal's Welcome" by clicking my joining link. I will frame the evening and review the night's process there as well.
- At 6:40 p.m., all parents and caregivers will join their child's Period One class by clicking on the teacher's joining link. Parents will meet with the teacher for 10-minutes before transitioning to their child's Period Two class.
- This process will repeat until we have moved through all seven periods. Please see the times/schedule below:
- Principal's Welcome - 6:30-6:35
- Period 1 - 6:40:6:50
- Period 2 - 6:55-7:05
- Period 3 - 7:10-7:20
- Period 4 - 7:25-7:35
- Period 5 - 7:40-7:50
- Period 6 - 7:55-8:05
- Period 7 - 8:10-8:20
- As you can see, there is a 5-minute interval between classes to allow parents/caregivers to leave one Google Meet and click the joining link for the next Google Meet.
- If your child has a study hall, you could enjoy the 10-minute break and rejoin your child's schedule for the next period. You could also use that period to join your child's guidance counselor, our school nurse, or an administrator, as we will have a Google Meet open all evening.
- As a reminder, our Open House is an opportunity to meet your child's teachers, learn about curricula, and understand learning expectations. It is not an evening to discuss individual student progress. We have those conversations during our conferences on October 27 and November 17. If you'd like to speak to a teacher about your child's progress prior to that, please contact the teacher directly to arrange a time.
We hope to see you all on September 23!
Our School Picture Day will be on Wednesday, September 22 (with retakes scheduled for October 22). This year, students will have their pictures taken during their English classes. We have changed vendors this year and will now be working with Legacy Studios. While Legacy will be mailing brochures to all of our PHS families, we will also have some in the main office every day up to, through, and including Sept. 22.
CLASS OF 2022 and 2023 COLLEGE FAIR:
Our in-person College Fair for our Junior and Senior Classes is on Thursday, September 23 from 7:45-8:45 a.m. in our gymnasium. Please click here for the extensive list of colleges and universities that will be in attendance.
In last week's update, I mentioned that NHS eligibility letters were being sent out to students and families via email and regular mail. In that notification, we mistakenly noted that students with a 3.8 GPA were eligible. In actuality, students with a 3.7 GPA are eligible, and all of those students received letters. Mrs. Kniffen, our NHS Advisor, will be meeting with those students during Titan Time on Wednesday, September 22 to learn about next steps in the eligibility process.
IMPORTANT UPCOMING DATES/EVENTS:
- 9/17 - Senior Portraits due (contact Ms. Lanzarotto in the main office with questions)
- 9/20-9/24 - Bauer the Therapy Dog begins his visits to PHS
- 9/22 - School Picture Day
- 9/23 - College Fair (7:45-8:45 a.m.)
- 9/23 - PHS Open House (virtual 6:30-8:20 p.m.)
- 9/29 - Professional Development - Early Release for Students (11:10 a.m.)
- 10/4- PTO Meeting (PHS Library 7 p.m.)
- 10/14 - Financial Aid Night (virtual 6:30 p.m.)
- 10/12-10/15 - PHS Spirit Week
- 10/16 - PHS Homecoming Dance (7-10 p.m. Details to follow)
Thanks, everyone. Please enjoy your weekend.
Marc Talbot, Principal
Pembroke High School | 80 Learning Lane, Pembroke, MA 02359
P 781-293-9281 | F 781-293-2812 | www.pembrokek12.org | @Pembroke_Titans