Pembroke High School Weekly Update
Dear PHS Families,
Here is this week's update, reminders, and other important notes regarding PHS matters.
TERM 1 REPORT CARDS:
Report cards for Term 1 will be issued during Advisory on Tuesday, Nov. 24 (Cohorts A, C) and Wednesday, Nov. 25 (Cohort B). We will be mailing home report cards for students in Cohort D on Nov. 25.
Parent/Teacher Conferences will be held virtually on Thursday, Dec. 3, and Wednesday, Dec. 9 from 4:30-8:30 each night. The "Pick-a-Time" portal is now open, and parents can begin signing up for conferences by clicking here. Once you've signed up, you will receive an email from "Pick-a-Time," which confirms the schedule of your conferences and provides the link to each teacher's Google Meet link.
As a reminder, these virtual conferences are 10 minutes each. When joining each Google Meet, parents will have to wait to be admitted to the meet by the teacher, a necessary step to ensure the privacy of the student being discussed in the conference prior to yours. Once the conference begins, our teachers will use timing software within Google to keep everyone on the 10-minute schedule. This countdown will not be visible on the parent end, but when the timer sounds, we do appreciate your cooperation in wrapping up the conference so that both teachers and parents can move on to the next conference. I know we all appreciate when the conference schedule - even when "in-person" - runs on time. If you would like to continue a conversation with a teacher, he or she would be happy to work with you to arrange a mutually convenient time to do so.
EARLY-RELEASE DAY - WED. NOV. 25:
Here is the link to our Early Release Day (ERD) Schedule that we will use this coming Wednesday.
Here are a few important thoughts:
- Wednesday is a Cohort B-day, so this "in-person" schedule applies to students in Cohorts B and C (and some D).
- For students in Cohort A (and some D), who are on an asynchronous "at-home" day, the order of support periods will remain the same as it always is on the "At-Home Support Schedule." However, the times for each period will mirror Wednesday's ERD "in-person" schedule. As always, the times in our "at-home" schedule align with the times in our "in-person" schedule.
- Because the periods are only 28 minutes each, we will not be able to break out our support periods by Honors and College Prep. Rather, the entire "at-home" support period will be open to all students in the subject area.
- Most importantly, students in Cohort A will still need to attend the three mandatory check-ins as they always do. The times will be different because of the ERD, but the periods required remains the same.
ORIENTATION FOR NEW STUDENTS IN COHORT D:
Assistant Superintendent Marybeth Brust and PHS Librarian and Edgenuity Liaison Christine Murphy will host an orientation on Monday, November 23 from 4:30-5:30 p.m. to review the finer points of learning in a remote model with Edgenuity. The joining link can be found here. This orientation is for students (and their families) that have changed their learning model to Cohort D with the start of Term 2.
SEASONAL FLU IMMUNIZATION REQUIREMENT:
As you may know, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (Mass DPH) is requiring influenza immunization for all children 6 months of age or older who are attending Massachusetts child care, pre-school, kindergarten, K-12, and colleges and universities.
Students will be expected to have received a flu vaccine by December 31, 2020, for the 2020-2021 influenza season, unless either a medical or religious exemption is provided.
This new flu immunization requirement to enter school in January is in addition to existing vaccine requirements for all those attending child care, preschool, K-12, and colleges and universities in Massachusetts.
Please submit your child’s proof of immunization to our school nurse, Ms. Samantha Turvey, as soon as possible.
- 11/23 - Orientation for Students/Families New to Cohort D (The joining link can be found here.)
- 11/24, 11/25 - Report Cards Distributed
- 11/25 - Early Release (Thanksgiving Break)
- 11/26, 11/27 - No School (Thanksgiving Break)
- 12/3 - Virtual Parent/Teacher Conferences (4:30-8:30 p.m.)
- 12/7 - PTO Meeting (Here is the joining link)
- 12/9 - VIrtual Parent/Teacher Conferences (4:30-8:30 p.m.)
Because of the shortened week next week, our next weekly email blast will be on Friday, December 4. Please accept our wishes for a happy and safe Thanksgiving.
Marc Talbot, Principal